Thursday, November 8, 2007

The day that wouldn't end

I have to tell you about my day yesterday.....please, indulge me!

Yesterday was a particularly trying day with my children. It started when Sage woke up before 7:00am. I don't care if it's 6:59, I DO NOT like being awake before 7:00. Then Jaxon was a little angel until about 8:30am when he decided to melt down and cry about every little thing he could possibly think of.

I had music group at 9:30, which would have been great if it hadn't been for Jaxon's crying, and pushing, and bothering everyone within a 10 foot radius of him, and Sage destroying all of the things I had out for music group. AHHH! Finally it was over and the day had already managed to stretch on forever, and it was only 11:00.

I then needed to spend some time working on my wedding cake I'm making for Saturday, and Sage felt it necessary to stay right by my feet and cry the whole time, which is bad enough when I'm not totally stressed to make a perfect cake.
Finally it was 12:00, and I decided I needed to do some shopping. I had a $10 Kohls cash that needed to be spent! I clearly explained to Jaxon that we would not be buying any toys, and he seemed fine with it before we walked into the store. But sure enough he found a shark toy, and when I took it away from him he threw a huge tantrum, laying on the ground screaming, which all the kind (said sarcastically) fellow shoppers looked at with disgust. So I had to do the whole -carry a screaming wriggling toddler while pushing a stroller- thing, which is never good for the whole patience thing. So we get home and it's only 1:30.....will this day never end?!?!

Let me make a side note here that Jake had not seen his kids since Sunday, which means I'd been husbandless for 2 day (he get's home around 9:00)

So I give Jaxon our little Nintendo and take a moment to relax at the computer, but that only lasts so long because Sage contines to cry at me regardless of whether or not I want to relax. (She has a double ear infection and is teething, so I'm not kidding when I say she cries a lot)

Anyway....on and on, we try and keep ourselves busy, which is just making me more and more cranky. Finally I give myself a time out on my bed, which doesn't last to long because of loud banging sounds and crying babies. Then Sage takes a nap...a 3 hour nap, which I think yesterday was the first time it had ever happened. Normally I would be thrilled about this, but today I had to get to the post office before it closed, and Jaxon was just getting more and more wound up the longer he was cooped up inside. And by this I mean talking a thousand words a minute in a exceptionally loud voice while using me for a bridge for all his toys.

Sage wakes up around 5:00 (only 1 1/2 hours until Jake get's home) and I am trying desperately to gain the motivation to make dinner, which is the absolute last thing I want to do at this moment. Well, I had procrastinated this trip to the post office, because I didn't think I could handle getting two kids out of the car again, and wait it a line at the post office without completely losing it. So I call up my sister Heidi and let her know that she has no option but to take my kids for a while so I can run errands. Good thing for sisters.

So I drop off Jaxon around 5:45 and head off to the post office, library, and grocery store. I shed a few tears somewhere around this time. I called Jake and told him to pick up Jaxon from Heidi's house for me, which would make life so much easier. It's funny how little things like that can literally make life so much easier. I picked up everything I needed for an easy dinner (by the way, my house was dirty all day, which I can't stand!) came home and made it while Sage sat quietly eating some Zwieback toast, then when Jake took a long time to come home, I called and he said he had just stopped at the store real quick.

A few minutes later Jake and Jaxon showed up at the door with a dozen white roses (my favorite) and Jaxon exclaimed "Mom! We bought you flowers!" Awwwwwwe!

The funny thing was, all day long I just was hoping that someone would magically know that I needed a boost, and there ya go! My sweet husband pulls through. Then, as a family, we all played on the floor, Sage laughing at everything, Jaxon being his cute crazy self, and my amazing husband loving us all. It was so perfect. He then proceeded to get the kids ready for bed while I sat down (finally) on the couch, and readied myself for some quality television watching. I desperately needed some down time. He joined me on the couch after the kids were asleep and we laughed and talked and made fun of all the people on the Country Music Awards. It was heaven. Around 11:00 I curled up in bed where I read my book for awhile and drifted off to sleep.

I share this story more for myself than anyone else. I thought for sure that my terrible day would somehow last forever, and that the rest of my life was doomed to screaming children and zero patience, but in no time at all my day had turned completely around. I loved my children more than I had ever before, my husband had become my knight in shining armor once again, and today is a new day and I feel great! I also share this in hopes that I am a normal mom, and I'm not the only one who has had this sort of day. So please let me know if you've had those days that never seem to end. I really hope I'm not alone!


Becky said...

I have SO had days like that. the kind that by 7 oclock your ready to go climb in bed and just cry.I actually have those more often then I care to admit usually. that is so sweet he brought you flowers. Sometimes knowing that someone else knows you had a crappy day seems to make it all better.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, what a sweet hubby! My heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is to work with kids around. And a sick baby. And don't you hate the stares you get in the stores. Hello! Can you not see I need help, and not stares! Yes, I've had days like that, too, where you just have to shake your head and say, "It must be in the water."

Both Alexis and Brandon adore music class. Thanks for sharing your talents with them!

Mahina said...

you are not alone, girl! any mother with small children have those days, and if they say they don't then they are in denial or just living by appearances!

i'm with elizabeth, "hello! i need help, not stares!" don't they remember when they were in this stage of life! come on people! i love when i am in line at costco and someone behind me helps me unload my mountain of stuff when i am struggling with 3 children! people like that are my heros!

glad you made it through the eternal day!

Laura said...

I have days like that and I don't even have kids. Pah! Glad you survived. :D

Stephanie said...

Thanks for all the support!! It's always good to know I'm not the only one.

hedrad said...

Why do all your blogs make me cry?